Wednesday, October 3, 2012

These Colors Don't Run

I'm afraid that it's a short post today, everyone's caught a minor cold.

Well, everyone but me has caught I minor cold; I feel like I've been smashed by a giant hammer.

Any case, Makoto, since his Sports Day has taken to coloring flags. The kids at his school had colored all the flags of the world for the event and Makoto liked it so much, this has been his new evening project.

First we did the big one, the Stars and Stripes. Excepting having a minor difficulty with the concept of alternating red and white stripes, he didn't do too badly.
Next we jumped the Atlantic to color the flag of the United Kingdom. The Union Jack proved a wee bit tricky, but in the end it was well done and sure to make my fellow teacher, who's from London, smile when he sees it.

The next bit however was a bit tricky. Originally Makoto asked me for help coloring the flag of South Korea (By help I mean Daddy is the one to find the coloring pages online and print them out and also tell Makoto what is what color), which lead to the following exchange yesterday in Japanese:

Makoto: Mommy, what colors are the Korean flag?

Beloved: Blue, white, red, and black.

Makoto: I can't find my black crayon... What flag is red, white, and blue like America's?

Beloved: France

Makoto: (In English) Daddy, I want to color the France flag tomorrow, ok?!

Tomorrow, since he still has some red crayon left, we're tackling the flag of Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment